Why it’s still OK to Bespoke Enterprise Mobile Software
NewsFlash! Companies implement enterprise mobility systems to help them be more competitive whilst at the same time streamlining in field and back office processes.
In recent years it has become the norm for operational and IT teams to go for a pre-built application and if necessary change business processes to fit the parts where the app does not quite match with the working practices on the ground.
For some custom development is old fashioned and carries the stigma of being expensive and never ending. Both of these statements can be true and some high profile bespoke IT projects at the BBC and the NHS do not help to overturn the perception.
The tools are out there to make producing an app a lot easier than it used to be. Modern Mobile Application Development Platforms (MEAP) have eliminated much of the black art around producing something that will work. It really is OK to bespoke an enterprise mobile enterprise mobile software.
Bespoke Enterprise Mobile Software 8 Things to Think About
- This approach can work for small numbers of users performing a very specific task. But the more users you have the more likely you will be able to justify an ROI for the project.
- Talk to someone who has either done something like this is a similar business process or a vendor who provides this sort of solution.
- Get your paper forms turned into an app as a prototype.
- Devise a plan for choosing which sort of device and OS will be suitable. Ensure your prototype runs on the target device satisfactorily. What is the expected life of these product?
- An app is useless unless you can connect it to something. Can you connect the data gathered to your ERP or CRM system. Is exporting it as a file or web service good enough? Find out first if you can make this integration and who will manage it.
- Write a comprehensive specification of how the whole solution will operate.
- Review the results with the people who actually carry out the process.
- By iteration tweak your prototype and repeat.
It’s still OK to bespoke enterprise mobile software. Get in touch to book a visit for us to discuss your requirements.