How to Find Your Windows 8.1 Product Key
If you need to re-install Windows 8.1 you will soon find that unlike the good old days your Windows 8.1 product key is not likely to be found printed on a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) label on the back of the unit.
So how do you find this 25 digit gold dust? This is not an exhaustive list of methods, if in doubt consult your systems admin. The key is stored in the Windows registry but in a binary form that is not human readable.
- Was it on an Email confirmation when you bought the OS?
- Ask the manufacturer of the unit as they will have the product key and product serial number on file. Serial numbers can be anywhere but often on a rating label or in the battery bay on more rugged units.
- Ask Microsoft.
- Is it printed on documents that were in that box you carefully saved (!) when the device arrived?
- Write some VB script.
- Understand the difference between Product ID and Product Key.
- Use a 3rd party piece of software. This involves loading a piece of software on the unit to go find the product key. There are many out there. If you would like to try the one we use get in touch.