Potential uses of Intel Realsense 3D Camera in Tablets
In this blog we will take a look at the potential future uses of a Intel Realsense 3D cameras, some of which are currently being tested there required environment. Check out our previous post on what Intel Realsense is and how it works.
Where could Intel Realsense 3D Cameras be used?
Intel Realsense 3D camera technology brings an entirely new toolbox to many industries. Firstly let’s briefly cover some of the applications of Realsense 3D in devices.
- Computer front facing cameras/ webcams and VR headsets
- Mobile computers/ tablets and smartphones
- Areal drones
In this blog we will focus on the uses in tablet devices as the front facing/ webcam camera applications use a short range technology. They are uses for things like facial recognition and motion detection, popular within the gaming industry and education. And then machines such as drones use it for object detection and automation.
Moving onto Realsense in mobile devices. When Intel launched the R200 unit which allows rear facing long range cameras to feature in mobile devices it opened up a whole new level of use for the technology. It could now be used for measuring distances, depth and scanning environments into 3D. We’ve had the chance to get hands on and explore the MobileDemand xTablet8650 that features this technology and demo some of the software currently available. Some of the biggest potential uses are in
- Logistics and warehousing – For the measuring of boxes, pallets and stock, measurements can be calculated in less than a second.
- Medical –Monitor the depth and size of wounds, as well to track progress. Allowing greater efficiency and clinical decision making.
- Highway maintenance – Calculate the total size of potholes, cracks and damages. This would give a more accurate measurement for reinstatement calculations and a better understanding of the damage to the surface.
- Surveyors and service engineers – For taking 3D scans of areas and environments. A more detailed result can be produces than typical measurements.
- Airlines – Allows passengers to accurately measure luggage before arriving at airport. Allows airlines to get a more accurate understanding of how much space is being used and provides an audit trail of checked baggage.
If you are interested in the potential uses of 3D cameras in tablets then take a look at our units featuring the technology.
and the new T1270 due out in June. More
We are sure there will be many other potential uses of Intel Realsense 3D camera in tablets and smartphones in the future. f you would like any more information or have any questions get in touch.