To avoid shipping charge corrections related to dimensional weight, you need to accurately measure and provide the correct dimensions of your packages when shipping goods. Shipping carriers use dimensional weight calculations to determine shipping charges, and if the dimensions you provide do not match the actual dimensions of the package, you may be subject to additional charges.
No need to rely on a tape measure or an expensive stationary dimensioning system – just carry an xDIM equipped Windows 11 MobileDemand rugged tablet or Surface Bundle that you use every day to where dimensions need to be captured.
Maximize space, increase efficiency, reduce cost, and save money with xDIM – dimensioning just got a whole lot easier.
How To Avoid Shipping Charge Corrections
- Measure Packages Accurately. Our xDim app is NTEP certified and uses proven technology on the platform that you use for other stock check and inventory control tasks, The Intel RealSense camera creates a reliable measuring tool to measure the length, width, and height of your packages. Our portable Bluetooth weigh scale allows you to input weight data into the system.
- Include Packaging Material. Don’t forget to include the dimensions of any packaging material, such as boxes, padding, or bubble wrap, in your measurements. The total dimensions should include both the product and its packaging.
- Update Your Shipping Software. If you use shipping software or an e-commerce platform to generate shipping labels, make sure it’s configured to calculate shipping costs based on dimensional weight accurately. Check for updates or settings that allow you to input package dimensions.
- Use the Carrier’s Dimensional Weight Formula. Different carriers may have slightly different formulas for calculating dimensional weight. Our xDIM app allows you to use the correct formula for the carrier you are using. All xDIM collected data is stored in an Azure Cloud Database.
- Regularly Review and Update Dimensions. If you frequently ship products with varying dimensions, make it a practice to regularly review and update the dimensions in your shipping system to reflect the actual packages you’re sending. Your contract with a courier may be specific when it comes to weight and dims – being outside the parameters can result in extra charges.
- Educate Your Team. If you have a team responsible for packaging and shipping, ensure that they are aware of the importance of careful preparation of consignments, accurate measurements and follow the guidelines you’ve established.
- Implement Quality Control Checks. Before shipping packages, perform quality control checks to verify that the dimensions of each package match the information entered into your shipping system. Use the xDIM portal to view recorded packages.
- Monitor for Errors. Keep an eye on shipping charges and invoices to ensure that there are no unexpected corrections or additional charges. If you notice discrepancies, investigate and correct them promptly.
By using xDIM and following these steps to maintain accurate package measurements, you can avoid shipping charge corrections related to dimensional weight errors and help ensure that you are billed accurately by your chosen carrier.
Learn more about xDIM Mobile 3D Box Measurement Solution.